Friday, September 12, 2008

loosen up

My love of the dictionary should come as no surprise. It's my favored object whenever I have to play that game about the desert island. Think about it: word games, spelling games, learning new words; the possibilities are almost endless. But I don't need a desert island to have fun with and benefit from my friend, the dictionary. For instance, and please excuse me if you know this already, but the word "analysis" means "loosen up." Isn't that great? I'm not quite sure what I've been assuming it meant this whole time, but I'm pretty sure it included a magnifying glass, tiny tweezers, and a whole lot of nits--you know, so you could nit-pick? At any rate, I'm quite high and free on this new knowledge--loosened up, as it were--and I think I'm gonna have a good day. I hope you do, too.

2 comments:

Molly Vetter said...

I love dictionaries, too. In face, my old OED is one of my favorite toys! :)

Krista S. Givens said...

you guys are serious geeks... now if it was harry potter books or a book on the philosophical ramifications of buffy, i'd be right there with you...